Middle School Y6-Y8 Character Education
Guided by the Pao School mission, the Middle School Character Education Programme is designed to promote skills and attitudes that contribute to students’ learning and social success. The programme provides a safe learning environment in which to develop understanding of Pao School’s character traits and core values:
- Core Values: Compassion, Integrity, Balance
- Character Strengths: Respect, Reflection, Responsibility, Resilience and Self-Management
The programme nurtures students to become well-rounded young people who will contribute their talents and wisdom to benefit their own local communities, and society as a whole.
Units and topics from the “Second-Step middle school programme” (Student success through prevention):
- Empathy and communication
- Preventing bullying
- Emotion management
Teaching and Learning in the programme:
- Dedicated academic class time: 50 minutes once every 5 cycles
- Dedicated in-depth discussion time: during Homeroom time once every 2 cycles
- ‘The Characters’ involvement; monthly activities jointly led by students and parents
- To promote and instill a sense of ownership and responsibility, each month teachers nominate students to be ‘Junior Characters' to help plan and lead monthly activities with ‘The Characters’ parents.
At Pao School, we believe that offering effective character lessons requires the involvement of the entire community. For this reason, Pao School parents have supported the delivery of 'The Characters' programme:
‘The Characters’ are a group of parents who plan and deliver monthly lessons and activities based on the character strengths and the topics covered during Character Education class.
New parents are welcome to join the programme. If you are interested in joining or would like further information, please contact:
Pinxuan Luo, Counselor, Middle School