Vision and aims of the programme
As part of the unique learning experience at YK Pao School, students are given the opportunity to take part in our Zhi Xing China Programme. This is a week of learning and education outside the classroom in which students engage in fun and challenging opportunities which complement and run alongside the school’s curriculum, enhancing and building on the lessons learnt in the classroom. The Zhi Xing China Programme will provide opportunities to travel to various different locations around China so students can experience and learn about the foundations of Chinese culture and history.
The primary goals of Pao School’s Zhi Xing China Programme are drawn from our mission statement:
- Developing the whole person: Our students will develop intellectual, social and emotional skills, strong character and positive attitudes through a diverse range of learning environments and activities.
- Passing on traditions of Chinese culture: Our students will gain a deep understanding and appreciation of Chinese culture, including literature, history, philosophy, and art.
- Fostering an international perspective: Our students will develop both intercultural knowledge and skills to address issues and succeed on a global stage.
Zhi Xing China Courses will:
- Provide experiential learning and educational opportunities to develop stronger connections between the classroom and the wider world
- Provide opportunities for students to develop the character traits that will benefit throughout their life
- Provide opportunities to understand Chinese culture and traditions.
Zhi Xing China Courses may:
- Foster physical, academic, empathetic and personal growth
- Provide opportunities to develop grit and application of their prior knowledge in unfamiliar situations
- Reinforce self esteem and provide a sense of achievement
- Offer opportunities to engage in service learning
- Cultivate respect for Chinese traditions and local communities
- Allow for positive interactions among their fellow students and staff
Expectations for the Zhi Xing China Courses:
- All students will be expected to attend Zhi Xing China Courses as though in a classroom setting and therefore all school rules and regulations will apply.
- Students are expected to be dressed in appropriate clothing for the activities and bring all equipment as advised in the preparation documents.
For the 2017-18 school year, all students will participate in two separate Zhi Xing weeks, taking place in January and June. In addition to our various off campus trips, students will also take part in our Shanghai-based STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) programme at Tongji University. Students who leave Shanghai in January will complete the STEM programme in June, while those who finish the STEM programme in January will travel outside of Shanghai in June.
Zhi Xing Harbin - Ice Festival Exploration
Zhi Xing Xiamen – Cultural Tour through the Tulous
Zhi Xing Inner Mongolia – Desert Environmental Study
Safety is the number one priority on these programmes. We only work with well-established and experienced companies with high reputation and good safety records with internationally-recognised standards. The companies that we use also work with some of the top schools in China, providing high-quality and professional educational experiences for both Chinese and international students. We work closely with them to design programmes that are specific to Pao School, which support the school mission and goals and complement the unique nature of our school and our students.
In the first semester, parents and students will receive detailed information for all programme options and registration procedures.
Registration and payment takes places a month before the trip departs, while pre-programme meetings and work with programme leaders takes place in the weeks leading up to each respective trip.
In order to retain and build on the valuable lessons our students will experience while on these programmes, all students will complete post-trip projects. These will take different forms for different groups but will provide a greater understanding of the individual challenges and allow our students to reflect on the valuable and life long lessons that they will each take away with them. In completing these projects, students will explore links to our formal school curriculum, which have been woven into each programme. Finally, this is an opportunity for parents to learn about all the students’ wonderful experiences.
Download the Zhi Xing China Programme brochure for more information.