Our Academic Mission
- We believe that every student can learn and achieve their full potential.
- We are committed to developing independent learners and global citizens in an environment where all students are included, challenged and successful.
- We believe that learning can be defined and delivered in the context of conceptual understanding, competency learning and character development.
At Senior Secondary Division, students undertake a Chinese studies programme, including Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese Geography, Political Science and Chinese History. This component, combined with the Cambridge IGCSE and IB Diploma Programmes, comprise Pao School’s ‘International Plus’ curriculum. At the end of Year 10, students will take external examinations given by the Cambridge International Examination Board to acquire IGCSE subject certificates. At the end of Year 12, students will write external IB examinations to obtain their IB Diploma.
The Senior Secondary Division starts with the International General Certificate of Education (IGCSE) - the world’s most popular international qualification for 14 to 16 year olds. The IGCSE provides excellent preparation for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP).
The IGCSE aims to develop learners who are:
- Confident in working with information and ideas – their own and those of others
- Responsible for themselves, responsive to and respectful of others
- Reflective as learners, developing their ability to learn
- Innovative and equipped for new and future challenges
- Engaged intellectually and socially, and ready to make a difference in the world
The IGCSE curriculum offers a variety of routes for learners with a wide range of abilities, including those whose first language is not English. It develops learner knowledge, understanding and skills in:
- Subject content
- Applying knowledge and understanding to new as well as familiar situations
- Intellectual enquiry
- Flexibility and responsiveness to change
- Working and communicating in English
- Influencing outcomes
- Cultural awareness
Encouraging students to engage with a variety of subjects is fundamental to our approach to allow students to explore their personal passions and interests. IGCSE allows students to study a wide range of subjects that can prepare students for the IBDP.
- First Language
- Second Language
- First Language
- Second Language
- Business Studies
- Global Perspectives
- Coordinated Science
- Computer Science
- Physical Education
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme
The International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) is a rigorous university preparation course for highly-motivated students. It is recognised for the opportunities it provides for the development of academic knowledge, understanding and skills while supporting personal growth towards being an independent learner and ready for the next step after graduation.
The IBDP is offered in English at Pao School and all students enrolled in Year 11 and Year 12 work towards the full diploma.
Students will take six academic courses – three studied at a higher level and three at a standard level. Higher level subjects require 240 hours of teaching while those at the standard level require 150 hours over a two-year period, providing a variety of depth and breadth in students’ studies.
In line with Pao School’s bilingual programme, students will attend Chinese and English language courses at levels appropriate to their abilities and with the goal of providing challenge for further progress over the course of the two-year programme.